Designing an Inbound Video approach end-to-end was a lengthy process for us at Meticulosity - and we realized that this could take other agencies just as long to figure out as well. Once of the reasons we initially hesitated with video is because we simply didn't know how to go about it, or where to start. However, we knew we only had a limited amount of time to figure out an approach to video (not only how to do it for ourselves, but also how to bring it to our clients) before we risked becoming stale, or worse, lose customers to agencies who had already jumped on the video bandwagon.
Furthermore, at HubSpot's annual Inbound Conference in Boston last fall, the word "video" was mentioned in almost every presentation on every stage. As a HubSpot Platinum Solutions Partner, it's critical that we stay aligned with their strategies and goals as they continue to build out new product capabilities and integrations around video.
The Big Questions Surrounding Video
So as we set out to create a video strategy, the big questions started rolling in:
- We weren't sure of the resources or technical abilities that were going to be required - how long was it going to take us to learn and perfect that?
- Were we going to need a room full of expensive video gear and editing equipment, and how were we going to get cameras and a production crew to our clients who are spread out at locations across North America?
- Or, were we going to outsource video creation and risk production quality, or even worse, our client relationships, over a bad video?
- Would we be able to do it in a way where our clients could afford it, and that we'd be able to deliver enough of an ROI that they would keep investing in video?
A Meticulous Approach to Inbound Video
What we eventually figured out is that video is absolutely an essential component of any Inbound Marketing Campaign. You don't need a production crew. You don't need a room full of editing equipment. And you certainly don't need a massive, Hollywood-level budget.
What you do need is:
- A concise, standardized process and methodology to teach your clients how to script a clear content offer that they can follow - not unlike creating a blog post, or e-mail campaign . Inbound video requires an engaging title, for example, because that's what people will see before they decide to click 'play'. You’ve also got to tell the viewer what they’re going to learn in the first few seconds, before they bounce.
- A smartphone with HD or 4K capabilities - pretty much common place in today's high-tech world. Every one of your clients and every one of your employees probably has one in their pocket right now. And, you don't need a $3,000 microphone or fancy tripod- a $25 lavalier mic and a simple tripod mount with a smartphone adapter will work just as well for your needs. All of a sudden you've got your own production crew.
- Guidance on quick lighting, framing and positioning tips, and how to shoot B-roll footage. No fancy sets or drone video required, we promise. With our Inbound Video process, you invest 15-20 minutes creating a video outline, and then just 15-20 minutes to shoot it. That's it. You only need 15 minutes or less of footage to create a polished, engaging, 3-minute video that your audience will watch all the way through.
A way to guide your clients through the video process. For us, we rely on tools like Zoom to connect with our clients all over North America, and actually coach them in real-time while they create their first few Inbound videos. It doesn't take long until our clients are able to do it themselves without any hand holding.
- Expert editing (that's where we come in) to take the raw video footage and transform it into branded video that's engaging and has a cohesive story line from beginning to end, and ensures that the video fits within an overall Inbound Marketing framework.
A Video PROCESS for Inbound Agencies
Video is just not the same barrier that it used to be. Now that we've got our own process streamlined, we're excited to help other Marketing agencies bolt-on Inbound Video to their service offerings - think of us as your Yoda of the video world.
We teach other Inbound Marketing agencies to teach your customers how to do Inbound Video. We guide you through the scripting process, filming techniques, shooting B-roll etc, that you can then take to your clients to create engaging video content.
Best of all, you don't even need to do the editing if you choose - send us the content along with your clients' logos, style guides and any other necessary brand assets. Within a week or less, we hand you back a polished video in both 16:9 and square video formats that you'll be proud to share with your clients and their audiences. This lets you focus on what you do best, which is Inbound Marketing. You already know how to build content offers. You already know how to write great content. We're just going to take those skills and extend them to video. Alternatively, you may have an intern or recent college grad who has the skills to use Final Cut Pro on a Mac at a semi-professional level.
Let Meticulosity help you tackle video today and keep you ahead of the trends and the overwhelming need to do video now.